[xubuntu-users] efax-gtk -- anyone use it?

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 21:30:31 UTC 2012

[xubuntu 12.04]

I have used efax-gtk for almost five years on ubuntu LTS versions.
After this recent install of 12.04 on a new machine i'm wondering if
i've got a problem with the serial port. efax-gtk is straight from the
repos - ver 3.2.8 latest version is 3.2.9... as my compiling isn't too
hot  i'm staying with 3.2.8. I'm using the same serial modem i've used
in the past and have a notes file of the efax settings so i'm sure
those haven't changed.

Steps so far: i need to check that the serial port is recognised.
mgetty installed from repos.
james at james-System-Product-Name:~/Desktop$ dmesg | grep tty
[    0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
[    0.285326] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
[    0.700570] 00:0d: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
james at james-System-Product-Name:~/Desktop$ setserial -g /dev/ttyS[01]
/dev/ttyS0: Permission denied
/dev/ttyS1: Permission denied

ttyS0 is entered for the modem in efax-gtk. [i made a file of notes so
i don't think i've made a mistake on settings.

This link suggests that should configure /etc/inittab which doesn't
seem to be available in xubuntu - there is an equivalent in xubuntu i
imagine - what should i be looking for
http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Serial/serial-console.html

Previous times i don't recall doing this so i'd be grateful if someone
could point me in the right direction. efax certainly worked 'out of
the box' on 8.04 and 10.04 so i'm wondering if in 12.04 there have
been some changes.
[I know i'm old fashioned using fax but i find it invaluable].

thanks
james