[xubuntu-users] Boot process

Nicolas nicolas.ea at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 05:00:34 UTC 2012


Thanks, but just for the record Joshua O'Leary. I've read that only 
older versions of Upstart run scripts under /etc/event.d, current 
versions seems to use /etc/init
I haven't tested this, but since I made a quick search and can't find 
/etc/event.d path, it looks true.
Anyway i like that approach of starting up in command line mode. I'll 
keep looking.

Cheers.

El 19/08/12 05:10, xubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com escribió:
> Send xubuntu-users mailing list submissions to
> 	xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	xubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	xubuntu-users-owner at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of xubuntu-users digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>     1. Re:  reading contents of CD (Cody Smith)
>     2. Re:  reading contents of CD (Norman Silverstone)
>     3. Re:  Boot process (Joshua O'Leary)
>     4. Re:  reading contents of CD (Preston Hagar)
>     5. Re:  reading contents of CD (Norman Silverstone)
>     6.  How to get Btrfs on 2nd partition of USB HDD to	automount as
>        read/write (dg1727)
>     7. Re:  reading contents of CD (Ric Moore)
>     8. Re:  reading contents of CD (Norman Silverstone)
>     9. Re:  reading contents of CD (Ralf ranfyy)
>    10. Re:  reading contents of CD (Ric Moore)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 07:10:56 -0700
> From: Cody Smith <cody.smith9202 at gmail.com>
> To: Xubuntu Support and User Discussions
> 	<xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: [xubuntu-users] reading contents of CD
> Message-ID:
> 	<CAB2RWyydMAwe--FY2Y0GOuPqHUXCMuyKGbsKw+4RqPouinXj1w at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> you could try "sudo umount /media/Linux && sudo mount --unhide /dev/sr0"
> (run that from Terminal without quotes)
>
> --c_smith
>
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 3:19 AM, Norman Silverstone
> <norman at littletank.org>wrote:
>
>> With the new printer I have bought there is a CD which, amongst other
>> things, should contain the manual on how to use the machine. The printer is
>> a Samsung and is Linux compatible. The CD mounts OK but only shows one
>> folder labelled Linux. On sequential openings the name changes to noarch,
>> then to at_opt, then to share, then to utils and then 2 folders named
>> SetlPApplet.html and SetlPApplet.ja.
>>
>> How do I go about finding the manual and anything else which I may need to
>> run the printer, please?
>>
>> Norman
>>
>> --
>> xubuntu-users mailing list
>> xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/**
>> mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users<https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users>
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-users/attachments/20120817/cab2a39d/attachment-0001.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 15:33:21 +0100
> From: Norman Silverstone <norman at littletank.org>
> To: xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: [xubuntu-users] reading contents of CD
> Message-ID: <502E5631.4000204 at littletank.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
>> you could try "sudo umount /media/Linux && sudo mount --unhide /dev/sr0"
>> (run that from Terminal without quotes)
> I tried that and got the message unmount: /media/Linux: not found.
>
> Norman
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 16:51:50 +0100
> From: Joshua O'Leary <joshua.oleary at btinternet.com>
> To: xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: [xubuntu-users] Boot process
> Message-ID: <20120817165150.81cf1eb1.joshua.oleary at btinternet.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 11:57:38 -0400
> Roberto Rodr?guez <rodriguez at lavabit.com> wrote:
>
>> You can install ubuntu minimal cd which is like a netinstall and them
>> choose your DE without a GDM and been able to start your DE with the
>> startx command.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> -- 
>> xubuntu-users mailing list
>> xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
> The inittab option would be the best, although since Ubuntu uses upstart and does not use /etc/inittab, you would edit /etc/event.d/rc-default instead
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 11:26:21 -0500
> From: Preston Hagar <prestonh at gmail.com>
> To: Xubuntu Support and User Discussions
> 	<xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: [xubuntu-users] reading contents of CD
> Message-ID:
> 	<CAK6zN=2QtUJJfQVMVfzdsU88Ncwj2Dx-6Zbasn+bEq3an=_pxw at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Norman Silverstone
> <norman at littletank.org> wrote:
>> With the new printer I have bought there is a CD which, amongst other
>> things, should contain the manual on how to use the machine. The printer is
>> a Samsung and is Linux compatible. The CD mounts OK but only shows one
>> folder labelled Linux. On sequential openings the name changes to noarch,
>> then to at_opt, then to share, then to utils and then 2 folders named
>> SetlPApplet.html and SetlPApplet.ja.
>>
>> How do I go about finding the manual and anything else which I may need to
>> run the printer, please?
>>
>> Norman
>>
> Likely, you will need to either look for a PDF file somewhere on the
> CD (possibly not in the Linux folder) or go to Samsung's site and look
> up the documentation there. Usually, the CD only contains Windows
> drivers/software and sometimes Mac.  Depending on the manufacturer,
> they may put Linux ppd files on the CD or other software, or more
> often they either put it on on their website or submit it to CUPS to
> be included with their driver set.
>
> Just because it is Linux compatible doesn't mean they will make it
> easy on you :)
>
> Preston
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 17:33:15 +0100
> From: Norman Silverstone <norman at littletank.org>
> To: Xubuntu Support and User Discussions
> 	<xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: [xubuntu-users] reading contents of CD
> Message-ID: <502E724B.7070107 at littletank.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> < snip >
>
>> Likely, you will need to either look for a PDF file somewhere on the
>> CD (possibly not in the Linux folder) or go to Samsung's site and look
>> up the documentation there. Usually, the CD only contains Windows
>> drivers/software and sometimes Mac.  Depending on the manufacturer,
>> they may put Linux ppd files on the CD or other software, or more
>> often they either put it on on their website or submit it to CUPS to
>> be included with their driver set.
>>
>> Just because it is Linux compatible doesn't mean they will make it
>> easy on you :)
> Preston, how right you are. I went to their site and found a PDF version
> of the manual and I gather that, if I need them, drivers are there also.
>
> Norman
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 15:07:06 -0400
> From: "dg1727" <dg1727 at hushmail.com>
> To: xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: [xubuntu-users] How to get Btrfs on 2nd partition of USB HDD
> 	to	automount as read/write
> Message-ID: <20120817190706.C26C8A6E3F at smtp.hushmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Hello,
>
> The following is based on
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2043016
>
> I have a user with an Xubuntu 12.04.1 laptop, 32-bit.  He needs to
> use a USB hard disk drive which has 2 partitions:  the 1st
> partition is NTFS and the 2nd partition is Btrfs.
>
> When he plugs in the hard drive, both partitions auto-mount OK,
> except that the Btrfs partition automounts read-only.  That is, the
> permissions of the directories in /dev are drwx------ for the NTFS
> and dr-xr-xr-x for the Btrfs.
>
> How can the OS be set up so that the Btrfs will automount
> read/write?
>
> The "dmesg" command shows the following on plug-in of the drive:
>
> [ 7253.520087] usb 2-4: new high-speed USB device number 11 using
> ehci_hcd
> [ 7253.656344] scsi11 : usb-storage 2-4:1.0
> [ 7256.651677] scsi 11:0:0:0: Direct-Access     TOSHIBA  External
> USB 3.0 0001 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
> [ 7256.654722] sd 11:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
> [ 7256.656970] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] 1465149168 512-byte logical
> blocks: (750 GB/698 GiB)
> [ 7256.660515] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
> [ 7256.660534] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 1f 00 00 08
> [ 7256.662509] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching mode page present
> [ 7256.662523] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write
> through
> [ 7256.668478] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching mode page present
> [ 7256.668498] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write
> through
> [ 7256.673838]  sdb: sdb1 sdb2
> [ 7256.681474] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching mode page present
> [ 7256.681493] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write
> through
> [ 7256.681507] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk
> [ 7257.545702] device label partition_label devid 1 transid 19
> /dev/sdb2
> [ 7257.546790] btrfs: disk space caching is enabled
>
> Neither the "usbmount" nor "pmount" packages are installed, but
> "thunar-volman" is installed.  I did install "pmount" only to find
> that it appears to be meant to be invoked manually, so I un-
> installed it again.
>
> "uname -rv" reports:
>
>   3.2.0-29-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 27 17:04:05 UTC 2012
>
> The "groups" command shows that the user is a member of the
> following (in addition to a group named after his username):
>
>   adm dialout fax cdrom floppy tape sudo dip video plugdev fuse
> lpadmin sambashare
>
> The "mount" command shows for the Btrfs partition in question:
>
>   /dev/sdb2 on /media/[partition_label] type btrfs
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)
>
> (I have substituted [partition_label] for the partition label,
> which is all letters, no punctuation marks.)
>
> Because "mount" shows "rw", does that mean that it is the
> configuration of Btrfs, not the configuration of automounting, that
> is at issue?
>
> I appreciate any help.
>
> -dg1727
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 21:57:18 -0400
> From: Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com>
> To: Xubuntu Support and User Discussions
> 	<xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: [xubuntu-users] reading contents of CD
> Message-ID: <502EF67E.1000000 at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> On 08/17/2012 12:26 PM, Preston Hagar wrote:
>
>> Just because it is Linux compatible doesn't mean they will make it
>> easy on you :)
> Is the model of the OP's printer listed in the Ubuntu printer setup? I
> just installed a Lexmark printer and found it listed in the stock
> printer setup routine. It printed a test page perfectly. That's about as
> easy as it gets. I didn't need no stinkin' CD at all. Ric
>
>
>
>





More information about the xubuntu-users mailing list