[xubuntu-users] Install xubuntu from a PXE boot

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Mon Apr 30 18:15:35 UTC 2012

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:06:30 -0400
ross smith <gaurdro at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 13:01, Charlie Kravetz
> <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com>wrote:

> > On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:28:44 -0400
> > ross smith <rjsm at umich.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know if such a thing exists for xubuntu, but one can install
> > ubuntu
> > > and convert it to xubuntu fairly easily.
> > >
> > > # apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
> > > # apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop
> > >
> > > -Ross
> >
> > The only issue with this is that it only removes a single file, the
> > "ubuntu-desktop" meta-package. This is a meta-package file, which
> > causes all dependencies for the package to install when used.
> > Unfortunately, removal does not cause all those packages to be removed.
> >

> That is easy to correct.  you just need to call auto remove after those two
> commands.
>
> # apt-get autoremove
>
> This will remove all the packages that were in the dependency tree of
> ubuntu-desktop but not in the tree of xubuntu-desktop

Actually, no, that doesn't remove all the extra stuff that
ubuntu-desktop installs. For example, gedit installed, does not require
ubuntu-desktop to be installed, thus will not remove with that.

The subject has been beat to death, however, and if you are happy with
the the installation you get and have the space for it, it's fine.
>  >

> > .iso

> > http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/
> > ?