[xubuntu-users] NVIDIA Driver Not There

Joshua O'Leary joshua.oleary at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 30 16:34:09 UTC 2012

On 27/04/12 23:47, Michael Comperchio wrote:
> I don't know how this happened but... I now have a 11.10 system that
> won't run X. Now, 25 years ago, I'd have been ok with this... but
> times change.
>
> I'm booted up to the Win7 side of the box so I'm paraphrasing... but
> the logs tell me there is no NVIDIA driver available.
>
> I'm wondering if I do the upgrade will it install a default driver
> that will let X run again?
>
> Thanks
>
> MIchael

When you upgrade, I would strongly recommend following this guide to get
drivers working properly again:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/125608/unity-3d-no-longer-works-after-installing-12-04

This will ensure 3D support works and stop any driver crashes. The
driver bug was in fact NVIDIA's fault, and they will have to fix it,
although the responsibility lies party with Canonical for not having
checked the drivers beforehand.