[xubuntu-users] installation

Joshua O'Leary joshua.oleary at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 28 20:58:36 UTC 2012

On 28/04/12 21:38, TOM TOM wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Cazador <mihijoeldoctor at gmail.com
> <mailto:mihijoeldoctor at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     So, here is my problem: i've just installed xubuntu 12.04 with a
>     pen drive. Everything went well but when i reboot the laptop:
>     xubuntu didn't start. I only get a black screen. The only way to
>     start xubuntu is with the installation pen drive. The weird thing
>     it's that it's not a live session: the pen drive its needed to
>     start a normal session. So i've tried to make a fresh installation
>     but it's impossible to  to boot to install, i end up in xubuntu
>     normal session.
>     Any ideas?
>     Thanks in advance.
>     Cazador.
>

>     --
>

> could be that you or the installer accidentaly installed grub to the
> pen drive instead of the laptop's hard disk.
>
> clear the pen drive, put xubuntu on it again(with unetbootin?) and
> give it another try. Best of luck!

It would be easier just to boot off a pen drive, and then reinstall grub
(without reinstalling the whole system). To do this you should then run:

sudo grub-install /dev/sdX --boot-directory /path/to/boot/
*Where X is your hard disk's letter, probably an 'a' if you only have
one disk.

Path to boot is the location of your boot folder - you can find this by
opening your hard disk in the file manager, going into the /boot folder,
and copying its path (Control-L).

Hope it goes well
Joshua