[xubuntu-users] Newb to xubuntu.

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 22:47:53 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/26/2012 03:31 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

>>> If you are meaning what I think you are - I installed arandr and used
>>> that
>>> to set my two monitors up with nouveau.
>>

>> Seems like you understand me right.  I just had the guts of this
>> machine replaced because the old ones died and were really old anyway,
>> did not pay much attention.  As near as I can tell, I've got nVidia,
>> GeForce 8400GS, so the same thing may work for me.  I really know next
>> to nothing about video beyond analog VGA, and this card has a VGA
>> output, but also a DVI.  That's how I plan to go dual-head.
>

> I'd use jockey-gtk to install your official kernel-tainting nvidia driver.
> That should include your nvidia setup program. Use that to set up your
> monitor setup. The usual desktop monitor applications will not do squat
> towards configuring a dual monitor setup using a real nvidia driver. Nouveau
> does NOT cut the mustard for 3D applications. Not even close., IMHO. Ric

Thanks.  I'm not sure this  card is 3D capable.  I'm not sure I care.
All I want is more real estate on the screen(s) because I tend to have
a lot of things going on.  Transparency confuses my aging eyes and I
tend to turn it off.  I expect the same for 3D.  However, I sure do
want the extra monitor.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD