[xubuntu-users] Newb to xubuntu.

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 21:03:32 UTC 2012

On 04/26/2012 03:31 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Piskie<ub.untu at btinternet.com>  wrote:
>> On 26/04/12 16:54, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been running Ubuntu since Warty.  I'm not happy with unity.  I
>>> tried the xfce and xubuntu logins and like them fine -- I'm not even
>>> clear on what's different between them.
>>>
>>> Thing is, I'm dual-headed on my Ubuntu laptop with the "monitor" gnome
>>> gizmo, and will be soon on my desktop.  I need help with that in xfce.
>>>
>> If you are meaning what I think you are - I installed arandr and used that
>> to set my two monitors up with nouveau.
>
> Seems like you understand me right.  I just had the guts of this
> machine replaced because the old ones died and were really old anyway,
> did not pay much attention.  As near as I can tell, I've got nVidia,
> GeForce 8400GS, so the same thing may work for me.  I really know next
> to nothing about video beyond analog VGA, and this card has a VGA
> output, but also a DVI.  That's how I plan to go dual-head.

I'd use jockey-gtk to install your official kernel-tainting nvidia
driver. That should include your nvidia setup program. Use that to set
up your monitor setup. The usual desktop monitor applications will not
do squat towards configuring a dual monitor setup using a real nvidia
driver. Nouveau does NOT cut the mustard for 3D applications. Not even
close., IMHO. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html