[xubuntu-users] Newb to xubuntu.

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 19:31:22 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Piskie <ub.untu at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 26/04/12 16:54, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>
>> I've been running Ubuntu since Warty.  I'm not happy with unity.  I
>> tried the xfce and xubuntu logins and like them fine -- I'm not even
>> clear on what's different between them.
>>
>> Thing is, I'm dual-headed on my Ubuntu laptop with the "monitor" gnome
>> gizmo, and will be soon on my desktop.  I need help with that in xfce.
>>
> If you are meaning what I think you are - I installed arandr and used that
> to set my two monitors up with nouveau.

Seems like you understand me right.  I just had the guts of this
machine replaced because the old ones died and were really old anyway,
did not pay much attention.  As near as I can tell, I've got nVidia,
GeForce 8400GS, so the same thing may work for me.  I really know next
to nothing about video beyond analog VGA, and this card has a VGA
output, but also a DVI.  That's how I plan to go dual-head.

Thing is I see some nouveau-related things in synaptic, but I'm not so
sure if there's a GUI among them and which one it is.

Also, I keep the machine in the garage to keep noise down, and my
workstation is in an adjacent room.  Is there any limit on DVI cable
length I should know about?  With the current setup I'm probably going
to want 20 feet or so.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD