[xubuntu-users] new user

Wybo Dekker wybo at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 15 22:12:21 UTC 2012

On 2012-04-15 13:18, Mark Alan wrote:
> sudo apt-get install --install-suggests xubuntu-restricted-extras
> sudo apt-get install gvfs-backends # only for xubuntu 11.10
> sudo apt-get install icedtea-plugin tumbler-plugins-extra
> sudo apt-get install gedit gdebi libudf0 p7zip-full
> sudo apt-get install file-roller
> sudo apt-get install vlc vlc-plugin-pulse vlc-plugin-notify
> sudo apt-get install libroffice

sudo apt-get install libreoffice # libr/e/
sudo apt-get install rhythmbox-radio-browser # (which includes rhythmbox)
file-roller is in the standard install

> sudo apt-get purge ubuntu-restricted-addons ubuntu-restricted-extras
> sudo apt-get purge xarchiver gnumeric abiword apt-xapian-index

If you are a LaTeX fan, a good reason to retain abiword (together with
libreoffice) may be that it does a much better job in saving a file in
LaTeX format.

It may be a good idea to put all your changes in a bash script, which
you can run after a fresh install. My script (available)  displays a
list of choices like this:

a set links, dirs in /, hosts, sudoers, rootmail
b update source list and upgrade
d Disk station mappings to fstab
e install extra's for developers
g install some ruby gems
j start firewall with ssh server
k skip this if synology present: start firewall with http/ftp server
l Lexmark Z640 driver install
m install mysql and reload mysql database from dump
n setup Epson Perfection V350 scanner
q exit
s install texworks
t setup TeX from online sources