[xubuntu-users] wifi interface not starting with Xubuntu 11.10

Joshua O'Leary joshua.oleary at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 12 19:23:49 UTC 2012

On 12/04/12 17:17, Lee Gold wrote:
> I have, Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or
> AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)
>
> This laptop wifi often does not start in Xubuntu, I try everything I
> know how to do but usually I have to reboot then it starts.
>
> I try,  sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
> and get:
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not possible due to RF-kill
> now: Unknown host
>
> sudo iwconfig wlan0 txpower on, doesn't help.
>
> Is there a way to find out what the issue is and fix. It's intermittant
> in a way, sometimetimes it doesn't happen. A reboot usually fixes it.
> Thanks

What if you do

sudo service network-manager restart

Or unload your wireless' kernel modules with rmmod, and then re-insert
them with modprobe (you can find the wifi module with lsmod).

If restarting network manager works, or re-loading the wifi kernel
modules works, you could add the commands to the file /etc/rc.local so
they would reload automatically.

Joshua