[xubuntu-users] wifi interface not starting with Xubuntu 11.10

Lee Gold leegold at operamail.com
Thu Apr 12 16:17:17 UTC 2012

I have, Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or
AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)

This laptop wifi often does not start in Xubuntu, I try everything I
know how to do but usually I have to reboot then it starts.

I try,  sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
and get:
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not possible due to RF-kill
now: Unknown host

sudo iwconfig wlan0 txpower on, doesn't help.

Is there a way to find out what the issue is and fix. It's intermittant
in a way, sometimetimes it doesn't happen. A reboot usually fixes it.
Thanks