[xubuntu-users] Weird error message

Mike Kupfer m.kupfer at acm.org
Sat Sep 10 22:40:14 UTC 2011

Lee Gold wrote:

> I got this in my terminal and have no idea what it means. It just seemed
> to appear on it's own:

> can not find font '-*-helvetica-bold-r-*-240-*'
[...]
> X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private
> resource denied)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  88 (X_FreeColors)
>   Serial number of failed request:  12674346
>
> What the heck is this?

The messages probably came from one or more applications that had been
started in the terminal window.

The "can not find font" message indicates that the application wanted to
use a particular font but couldn't get it.

The "X Error" message (and the stuff after it) indicates that the
application had problems communicating with the X server (i.e., with the
window system).  This could be due to a bug in the application or in one
of the libraries that the application uses.

mike