[xubuntu-users] No video, only console after upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04

Chuck Bearden cfbearden at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 16:42:36 UTC 2011

I finally got around to upgrading to 11.04 today, via the button in
the upgrade manager. It all seemed to go smoothly, except that when I
rebooted, I landed at the tty console. tty1-6 are all console login
screens, and tty7 has the notices from the boot ("Starting Tomcat
servlet engine" "Checking battery state" e.g.).

If I start gdm, I get a message
  gdm start/running, process <pid>
but no graphical session. 'gdm-binary' does appear in the output of 'ps'.

My graphics card is an nVidia G68 [Quadro NVS 290] based on the output
of 'lspci'. From the output of 'lsmod' it looks to me as if there are
no video drivers loaded. 'dpkg' tells me that the following packages
with 'nvidia' in their names are installed:

  nvidia-71-modaliases
  nvidia-common
  nvidia-current
  nvidia-glx-180
  nvidia-glx-185
  nvidia-settings

It's been a long time since I paid attention to low-level graphics
issues, so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious. Nothing in the
Natty release notes stuck out to me as relevant.

dmesg doesn't have anything suspicious to me in it. There is one error
relating to the probe of i5k_amb.0, but I think that's not a graphics
driver.

I did permit the upgrade process to remove packages it said were no
longer needed. Perhaps my card is no longer supported, and I let go of
the drivers I needed?

Any help appreciated!
Chuck Bearden