[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu support for VMWare Workstation 7

Shaffin Bhanji shaffin.bhanji at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 23:24:07 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am trying to chose a kernel for my Lenovo W520 laptop based on the
latest release of Xubuntu. My primary object is have a lean host OS that
loads up quickly, and support the latest VMWare Workstation features
well. The configuration I would like is that the base host OS be
Xubuntu, and then run several development and test VMs ranging from
Win7_32, Win7_32 and Linux guest OSes. My primary concern is that:

1. Anyone have an opinion on running VMWare Workstation? and if so, and
if so, does it work well?

2. I would like my host USB devices to be available to my guest as I use
an external drive to save most of my projects, anyone see any problems
with this?

3. Wireless support - since most of the time I will be connected to a
wireless network, any feedback on network access on the guest based on
the host being wireless?

4. Sharing host dist to guest OS, any problems with doing on Xubuntu?

Your comments are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam.