[xubuntu-users] How to turn numlock on at login in Xubuntu 11.10

Mark Alan varia at e-healthexpert.org
Fri Nov 18 15:41:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:32:19 +0100, Michał Olber
<michal.olber at osworld.pl> wrote:

> > In Xubuntu 11.10, how do we turn numlock on at login?

> Install numlockx package :)

I am afraid that this answer is not very helpful.
In fact just installing the numlockx package will not solve any
problem, you need to do something else.

And the problem is that what usually works does not seem to be working
anymore (i.e., since lightdm introduction).

What is not working:
a) adding 'greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/numlockx'
to /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

b) adding:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=numlockx
Exec=/usr/bin/numlockx
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Hidden=false
into a file named $HOME/.config/autostart/numlockx.desktop

c) creating a link to numlockx:
 (cd ~/.config/autostart;ln -s $(which
numlockx))

What IS WORKING, but is a pain because must be set for each user
of a given machine:
adding a line such as
test -x /usr/bin/numlockx && /usr/bin/numlockx on
to $HOME/.profile

As you see it is not as easy as installing numlockx.
And I suspect that there is something wrong with the 'xubuntu-default-settings' package
and/or in the way the scripts in /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu/ are processed
during or after lightdm.

b.r.

M.