[xubuntu-users] [11.04]-Problems & Questions From New User...

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Sat Jul 9 15:20:36 UTC 2011

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 08:41:16 -0400
Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO at AOL.com> wrote:

> [11.04]-Problems & Questions From New User...
>
> Hi,
>
> Been using Xubuntu 11.04 for a few days and am happy.
>
> Have a few problems and questions:
> - When I try to shut down or reboot,
> Xubuntu just logs out and brings me back to log in screen?
> (I am using menu/Log Out/Shutdown and menu/Log Out/Reboot.)
> How do I fix this?

This is a known Xfce bug, only workaround is to logout and then
shutdown or restart from the GDM screen.

> - When my Xubuntu first boots
> it always opens [File System - File Manager] ?
> How do I stop this?

Close file manager and save the session at logout with it closed

> - I can't copy from a directory in Thunar and paste to desktop?
> How do I fix this?

Workaround is to paste to the Desktop folder in Thunar. This is also
broken in Oneiric

> - How would I disable desktop from showing a particular hard drive?
> (have two extra HDDs, and want only one to show on desktop)

One way is to add the one you do not want to see to /etc/fstab.
Any drive mounted through /etc/fstab at boot will not show on the
Desktop

--
Charlie Kravetz