[xubuntu-users] Selectable screen sessions and zoom feature.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Jan 29 21:41:00 UTC 2011

When I described to a friend how I work in Slackware he asked if the
same features are available on Ubuntu.  Don't know so I have to ask:

1. I have multiple screen sessions (four in the current case.) They
are represented by little rectangles on the icon bar.  I can have
tasks running on all four at once if needed. Knoppix and Slackware
have this feature and maybe others also.  This works with KDE, XFCE
etc. screen managers.

2. I can zoom in by keying <ctrl><alt>+ and zoom out by keying
<ctrl><alt>-. When zoomed in I can still wander over the entire 2048 x
1024 real estate using the mouse, but my view port is e.g., 640 x 480.
This feature is set up in xorg.conf in a subsection like this:

-- Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection

This is available through Slackware 13.0 but on 13.1 it is limited. So
I use 13.0.

With different screen resolutions of course I have had these two
features since the 1990's. But not every distro has both.  I just
wonder what my Ubuntu user friend can use.

John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus:
http://www.booklocker.com/p/books/4055.html
Typesetting and indexing http://wexfordpress.com