[xubuntu-users] Questions about errors and duplicate messages in .xsession-errors

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Dec 15 23:49:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 11:28:39PM +0000, jr wrote:
> On 15/12/11 23:17, Chris Green wrote:
>

> >>if you delete the ~/.xsession.errors file and reboot, do you still
> >>get that message?
> >>
> >I have just deleted ~/.xsession.errors and have rebooted, the file looks
> >just the same to me now:-

> >That "/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0"
> >message has appeared for ages (like for years) in my .xsession-errors
> >file as far as I remember.
> >

> strange, something's not right with the start up, X ought not get
> started a second time, pretty much all of the errors and warnings
> relate to that.
>
> can you remember what change(s) were made to the system around the
> time when the 'X server already running' messages began?

I don't suppose I even noticed it happening, it was certainly a *long*
while ago (e.g. years rather than months) and there'e absolutely no
guarantee that I noticed it particularly quickly - I don't tend to look
at .xsession-errors very frequently! :-)

Out of interest I looked at the .xsession-errors on another system
running xubuntu 10.04 (mine is 11.04) and there I see:-

    maxine at laptop:~$ more .xsession-errors
    /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
    Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_GB.
    Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
    /usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
    <stdin>:1:3: error: invalid preprocessing directive #Those
    <stdin>:2:3: error: invalid preprocessing directive #or
    <stdin>:3:3: error: invalid preprocessing directive #Xft
    <stdin>:4:3: error: invalid preprocessing directive #Xft

That system is a pretty standard xfce installation with very few
additions, so the "X server already running on display :0" message seems
pretty common to xubuntu installations.

--
Chris Green