[xubuntu-users] Problems xubuntu 11.04

jr creature.eternal at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 20:39:37 UTC 2011

On 09/12/11 20:02, Keith Belt wrote:
> I've been using ubuntu since almost the beginning. Now xubuntu. Rarely
> do I have any problems. Like I said I prefer fresh install over update
> to new version. Much less likely to run into trouble. Always thought
> that was common knowledge with ubuntu.
>
> On Dec 9, 2011 1:48 PM, "ron"
> <roncasa at verizon.net
> <mailto:roncasa at verizon.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/09/2011 01:42 PM, jr wrote:
>
>         On 09/12/11 17:11, Keith Belt wrote:
>
>             If I were you I would do a fresh install but that's just me.
>             Sometimes
>             that's easier then fighting problems.
>

>         welcome to -- WINDOWS..
>

>     (smile)
>     also,
>     this is why I stay away from ubuntu, they been going downhill with
>     all them unique weird problems with each release. I went back to
>     Linux Mint 9 w/xfce. I'm staying here until a new version really is
>     stable.
>
>     I was tired of being frustrated. Fixing this quirk and that quirk,
>     (I do not mind the occasional bug).
>
>     I am disappointed with ubuntu.
>
>     Ron
>
>     --

unlike you, I'm fairly new to (X)ubuntu, I thought I liked it but, I've
realised, what I really like is Xfce.

like Ron, I'm not put off by the occasional bug or problem, but I spent
a lot of time over the last few weeks removing stuff instead of just
working, and still haven't managed to sort out my mount.cifs problem.

I think the difference between us is that I expect a *NIX system to be
stable and dependable; software gets upgraded and tweaked, yes, but one
doesn't expect to have to re-install. it is always possible that some
upgrade breaks a system, but then you'd restore from a backup rather
than doing a completely fresh install.

it's mostly about forethought.  like not top posting because it makes
following the conversation difficult and cumbersome.

regards, jr.