[xubuntu-users] Official or Not?

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 5 19:26:33 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 6:51 AM, Robin <dixiedancer at gmail.com> wrote:
> But now, as to the forums, I've read that the Kubuntu Forums are sponsored
> and managed by a single individual and not underwritten by Canonical. With
> all the free forum hosting services around (even SalixOS uses one for it's
> official forums!), setting up a Xubu forums site seems like a fun way I
> might be able to contribute, even though I'm just a non-technical Xubu user
> and fanboy. Is that a good idea do you think?

Is there a specific problem you see with our current use of
ubuntuforums.org that you're trying to address by this proposal?

Since the Xubuntu community is so small I don't really see a benefit
to us leaving ubuntuforums.org and starting our own forums initiative.
Running a successful forum is a lot of work (even if you used a hosted
service, there is the matter of community management, making sure
folks adhere to the Code of Conduct and don't offer malicious/abusive
support) and you'd need a dedicated team responding to support
requests since dead/quiet forums can actually do damage to a project.
It's also worth keeping in mind that often times Xubuntu issues are
also applicable to Ubuntu since they share gtk and several
applications are the same so there are major benefits from sticking
with a large, established community that can offer help with both.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com