[xubuntu-users] Official or Not?

James Freer jessejazza3 at aol.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 21:39:36 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Elizabeth Krumbach <lyz at ubuntu.com>
To: dixiedancer <dixiedancer at gmail.com>; Xubuntu Help and User
Discussions <xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 20:27
Subject: Re: [xubuntu-users] Official or Not?

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 6:51 AM, Robin <dixiedancer at gmail.com> wrote:
... setting up a Xubu forums site seems like a fun way I
> might be able to contribute, even though I'm just a non-technical
Xubu user
> and fanboy. Is that a good idea do you think?

Is there a specific problem you see with our current use of
ubuntuforums.org that you're trying to address by this proposal?

Since the Xubuntu community is so small I don't really see a benefit
to us leaving ubuntuforums.org and starting our own forums initiative.
Running a successful forum is a lot of work (even if you used a hosted
service, there is the matter of community management, making sure
folks adhere to the Code of Conduct and don't offer malicious/abusive
support) and you'd need a dedicated team responding to support
requests since dead/quiet forums can actually do damage to a project.
It's also worth keeping in mind that often times Xubuntu issues are
also applicable to Ubuntu since they share gtk and several
applications are the same so there are major benefits from sticking
with a large, established community that can offer help with both.

--Robin

I think its a good idea to offer to run a forum. As Elizabeth says it
is a lot of work [i know someone who does one of my car enthusiast
forums] - backing up and moderating is very time consuming.

I have used the *buntu forum and i have to say that it is very large.
This list is good and so is the yahoogroups one which is what i use
when necessary. I have also set up filters for folders so i can save
emails for reference later. As Elizabeth says if a forum wasn't used
enough it could actually do the project more harm than good which i'd
agree with.

--james