[xubuntu-users] bash-completion and history for additional users: SOLVED

Hellmut Weber mail at hellmutweber.de
Fri Aug 5 12:42:31 UTC 2011

On 05.08.2011 05:11, John Alfred Nathanael Chee wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 04:04, Hellmut Weber<mail at hellmutweber.de>  wrote:
>> Hi list,
>> I'm working with a Lenovo T61.
>>
>> Recently I installed Natty and created as before with 10.10 a first user
>> 'hellmut'.
>>
>> logged in as hellmut I switched to root and created another user 'leo' which
>> is my normal working identity.
>>
>> sudo su
>> passwd for hellmut:<entered>
>> # useradd -c "Leo's Id" -m leo
>> # passwd leo
>> enter pw:<entered>
>> repaet pw:<entered>
>>
>> Now it is possible to login as 'leo', BUT neither **bash-completion** nor
>> **history** (up/down, pade up/down) is working in a terminal or konsole,
>> although it both DO WORK users 'hellmut' and 'root'.
>>
>> What can I do to make it work for 'leo' (and for another user 'test1' added
>> afterwards.
>>
>> Any help appreciated
>
> Hellmut,
>
> I've observed this issue on Ubuntu installs in general, and a quick
> google doesn't find bug reports or any other users with your issue. If
> I recall correctly, last time I fixed this it involved coping either
> .bashrc or .bash_profile or both from the install-user's directory. If
> this fix works and you can reproduce the undesired behavior, you might
> want to investigate filing a bug report with Ubuntu.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> P.S. If you want more context, open up the .bashrc or .bash_profile
> files to double check that they are enabling features like
> bash-completion and history.

Hi John,
thanks for your answer.

First of all I compared .bashrc and .profile of the users 'hellmut' (the
one defined first) and 'leo'. They are identical, .bash_profile doesn't
exist for either of them.

Looking a bit more around I realized that the output of env for the two
users was different .. and this brought me to the solution:

the user 'hellmut' had /bin/bash as starting program whereas user leo
(added afterwards) had /bin/sh as starting program. Obviously ~/.bashrc
is not used by /bin/sh.

Hope this may help somebody else ;-)

Cheers

Hellmut

Dr. Hellmut Weber         mail at hellmutweber.de
Degenfeldstra├če 2         tel   +49-89-3081172
D-80803 M├╝nchen-Schwabing mobil +49-172-8450321
please: No DOCs, no PPTs. why: tinyurl.com/cbgq