[xubuntu-users] Is Xubuntu Not "Official?"

James Freer jessejazza3 at aol.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 12:07:19 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin <dixiedancer at gmail.com>
To: xubuntu-users <xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 12:59
Subject: [xubuntu-users] Is Xubuntu Not "Official?"

Just a quick question, prompted by repeated omissions from Canonical:

When Ubuntu released the updated LiveCD for version 10.04 (Lucid
Lynx),images were made available for Ubuntu and Kubuntu -but not
Xubuntu.

Now Ubuntu 11.10 has reached Alpha 3 and ISOs can be downloaded
forUbuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, and even Lubuntu - but not Xubuntu!

LiveCDs of Ubuntu and Kubuntu can be ordered from Canonical. Both
wereavailable for free from Canonical's ShipIt service. But notXubuntu.

Is Xubuntu official or isn't it? Is it supported by Canonical or isn't
it?I wish someone could explain this. I occasionally find complaints
onUbuntu Forums that "Canonical needs to show Kubuntu more love!" But
notXubuntu. There are Ubuntu Forumsand Kubuntu forums. But noXubuntu
forums. Only this little mailing list.

Why no respect for Xubuntu? [whiny fanboimode] Xubuntu is the
mostawesomest Linux distro in the history of evvaaaar! Why
doesn'tCanonical show Xubu some love!? [/whiny fanboi mode]

Just wondering.

--Robin

You raise a good point. I think because it's user base is much smaller
than the other two it is given the 'runt' label in my opinion.

The developers are volunteers which is not the same with Ubuntu (i
gathered there were salaried staff as it's the flagship distro)... i
think kubuntu is also volunteer.

I've been using Xubuntu since early 2010 and i really like it. I like
the simplicity and choice of apps which do all i want without bloat.

--james