[xubuntu-users] bash-completion and history for additional users

John Alfred Nathanael Chee cheecheeo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 03:11:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 04:04, Hellmut Weber <mail at hellmutweber.de> wrote:
> Hi list,
> I'm working with a Lenovo T61.
>
> Recently I installed Natty and created as before with 10.10 a first user
> 'hellmut'.
>
> logged in as hellmut I switched to root and created another user 'leo' which
> is my normal working identity.
>
> sudo su
> passwd for hellmut: <entered>
> # useradd -c "Leo's Id" -m leo
> # passwd leo
> enter pw: <entered>
> repaet pw: <entered>
>
> Now it is possible to login as 'leo', BUT neither **bash-completion** nor
> **history** (up/down, pade up/down) is working in a terminal or konsole,
> although it both DO WORK users 'hellmut' and 'root'.
>
> What can I do to make it work for 'leo' (and for another user 'test1' added
> afterwards.
>
> Any help appreciated

Hellmut,

I've observed this issue on Ubuntu installs in general, and a quick
google doesn't find bug reports or any other users with your issue. If
I recall correctly, last time I fixed this it involved coping either
.bashrc or .bash_profile or both from the install-user's directory. If
this fix works and you can reproduce the undesired behavior, you might
want to investigate filing a bug report with Ubuntu.

Hope that helps.

P.S. If you want more context, open up the .bashrc or .bash_profile
files to double check that they are enabling features like
bash-completion and history.

--
Love in Jesus Christ, John Alfred Nathanael Chee
http://www.biblegateway.com/