[xubuntu-users] Strategy Document and Contribution

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Mon May 31 15:12:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, 31 May 2010 10:28:47 -0400
Robin <dixiedancer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Charlie Kravetz wrote: [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument
>
> I'm embarrassed to admit this, but today was the first time I ever saw that document. Thank you for posting it. Suddenly a lot of things make sense now that didn't before.
>
> When I finally got my Debian Squeeze/Xfce all set up and configured just the way I like it, it was little different from Xubuntu! The only real difference was that Xubuntu "just works" out of the box on my hardware, while Debian required several days of Googling and experimenting to finally make it usable for me.
>
> My only major disappointment has been PulseAudio, which continued to be a nightmare on my modest little hand-me-down Dell until I completely removed PulseAudio. Karmic Xubuntu, which did not ship with PulseAudio, had none of the sound issues. Another minor disappointment was the new Thunderbird and the inability to find the previous version in any repositories (including GetDeb and Ubuntuzilla). Solved by switching to SeaMonkey.
>
> I would love to contribute, but I have no "geek skills" to offer and my family's financial situation is desperate. But I can offer enthusiasm and blog commentary. I have shared Xubuntu with several others and I can assure you all that Xubuntu definitely meets the goals and standards described in the Strategy Document (except for the PulseAudio thing - it has been problematic for every user I've shared Xubuntu with). How can a non-geeky kid contribute to this most awesome of projects?
>
> Thank you sincerely,
> Robin

That is great of you to offer to help. Xubuntu has needs besides
developers. We also need bug triage, testing the images as often as
possible and filing bugs found, documentation needs to be updated,
artwork is always in need of ideas and assistance.
Marketing is also needed. A person that can blog weekly about Xubuntu
would be very helpful. Are you an ubuntu-member? Can or have you added
your blog to Planet Ubuntu, which aggregates member blogs?

--
Charlie Kravetz