[xubuntu-users] slim, display manager

Kaspar Kööp meborc at gmail.com
Mon May 31 14:25:30 UTC 2010

On 31 May 2010 14:55, Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 2010 06:44:18 -0600
> Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 31 May 2010 13:57:20 +0200
> > Kaspar Kööp <meborc at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > This again boils down on what Xubuntu is here for. If we want
> lightweight
> > > OS, then slim is the way to go. If we want all the blitz and bling and
> be a
> > > ubuntu (gnome) copy with xfce, use gdm.
> > >
> > > I really thing Xubuntu should define it's place in the OS market. Are
> we
> > > striving for low memory machines or not?
> > >
> > > If not, why is abiword and gnumeric in the default install instead of
> full
> > > openoffice? If we are, slim is a good option to reduce the bloat.
> > >
> > > After Xubuntu has defined where it wants to fit in, we can start
> > > make choices based on that.
> > >

> > > Kaspar
> > >

> > Please post at the bottom of the messages as requested in
> > http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists . It makes the
> > thread so much easier to follow if it does not jump all over in the
> > message.

> > Xubuntu has never defined itself as "for low memory systems only". It
> > has, however, defined it's goals. One of those is "The target audience
> > for Xubuntu is users who are interested in having a modestly light
> > weight, slim, fast desktop experience while retaining the usability and
> > functionality that is required to provide an easy to use desktop
> > environment." [1]. That is the goal of Xubuntu, and the target. With no
> > funding, limited developers, and limited time, Xubuntu must constantly
> > monitor the applications chosen, and use those requiring the least
> > man-hours to maintain. If changing from GDM to Slim would allow the
> > developers less time maintaining Slim, that could be a good move.
> > However, the effect on the users must also be considered.
> >

> Left out my reference, The Xubuntu Strategy document, which guides the
> Xubuntu process. If you would like to help with Xubuntu, please get
> involved. It is easy to get started [2]
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument
> [2] http://xubuntu.org/devel
>
> --
> Charlie Kravetz
> Linux Registered User Number 425914          [http://counter.li.org/]
> Never let anyone steal your DREAM.           [http://keepingdreams.com]

Hi

>From that document i read:

...Xubuntu will provide an easy to use distribution, based on Ubuntu, using
> Xfce as the graphical desktop, with a focus on integration, usability and
> performance, with a particular focus on low memory footprint...

In my mind "focus on performance" and "low memory footprint" are exactly the
mission of Xubuntu... and therefore SLIM should be used instead of GDM.

I have used SLIM on a fluxbox machine before and never had any issues with
it. I think it should be considered for GDM replacement.

Best regards,
Kaspar