[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu 10.04: GDM Greeter Persists after VNC login.

LJ Coletti ljc at groknet.net
Thu May 20 16:56:50 UTC 2010

I'm running 10.04 and have installed vnc4server (Xvnc)

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/vnc4server

I can establish connections and use the desktop just fine but the
gdm greeter persists and remains active (VNC desktop screen shot below).

ftp://ftp.groknet.net/pub/gdm_greeter_persists.gif

I'm running Xvnc out of xinetd, contents of Xnvc xinetd config below.

service vnc
{
        type = unlisted
        disable = no
        socket_type = stream
        port = 5901
        wait = no
        user = root
        protocol = tcp
        server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
        server_args = -inetd -query localhost -once -terminate -depth 16 -geometry 1280x1024 -securitytypes none -desktop VNC-Remote-Access
}

Contents of /etc/gdm/custome.conf below.

[security]
DisallowTCP=false
AllowRemoteRoot=false

[xdmcp]