[xubuntu-users] Sound Problem: Is PulseAudio the Culprit?

Tim H. bizdev at pwnspeak.com
Wed May 12 07:26:08 UTC 2010

My problem was not exactly yours but similar.  I had a hard time
determining which sound card to select in the xfce4-mixer.

What worked for me:

I have HDA ATI DB and Realtek ALC*.  I selected *all* control and turned
them all down and muted them all.

Then I went to the Playback: Sound Card (Internal Audio Analog in my
case).  Enabled these controls and had the sound plugin manged this.

Restarted the comp, and managed the volume via the xfce4 plugin.  I
muted and then unmuted then turned it up.  My sound magically worked
(correctly).

Good luck.

Tim H.