[xubuntu-users] Preferred Mail Reader in Lucid (10.04)

Mon May 3 22:38:29 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Jason Heblack
<jason.heblack at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Xubuntu-users,
> Is it possible to set a preferred mail reader? I switched from ubuntu
> 8.04 LTS to xubuntu 10.04 LTS. If you check out the steps (included
> below), the way to do it from the graphical interface appears to be
> broken.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jason

> STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
> 1) Click: Xfce Menu->Settings->Xfce 4 Settings Manager->Preferred
> Applications
>
> 2) Set a custom mail reader to: mail "%s"
>
> 3) Then go to a web browser and click an e-mail address.
>

> EXPECTED RESULTS:
> The program specified in Step #2 would be invoked.
>
> ACTUAL RESULTS:
> A different mail reader is started rather than what is specified in Step
> #2.

If you use Firefox it might be the case that you need to set it there
yourself through Edit->Preferences, Applications tab (set the association
for "mailto"). Though there's. IIRC, a package that should configure this
automatically for you, I believe it's called firefox-gnome-support.

Best,

--
Vincent