[xubuntu-users] Dang display manager related pop-up boot message...???

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat Jul 24 06:37:18 UTC 2010

It would appear that on Jul 23, Tim Henderson did say:

> >[snip]
> >
> > What do I gotta do to ditch this annoying pop-up? And boot directly to
> > console login????
> >

> Have you tried editing /etc/default/grub?
>
> This line:
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
>
> Could be:
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash text"
>
> Tim H.

It would appear that on Jul 23, Tim Henderson did add:

> Hmm...that seems to break sound.  I'll run some more tests and get back
> to you if someone else hasn't.

It would appear that on Jul 23, Tim Henderson did also say:

> > [snip]
> >
> > What do I gotta do to ditch this annoying pop-up? And boot directly to
> > console login????
> >

> You can change the run level to 3, which seems to be the multi-user text
> based mode.  Haven't tested it yet, but seems to be the most correct
> solution:
>
> /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf
> env DEFAULT_RUNLEVEL=2
>
> This could be changed to 3.
>
> Or manually create the /etc/inittab with this in it:
> :id:3:initdefault:
>
> Again I haven't tested this info.  But I'll be sure to.  I've wanted to
> try multi-user console booting previously.

Well I don't know about that, but way back in 2005 I once
asked how to stop the gui boot on the "Ubuntu" users list.
I learned that ubuntu loads the gui at all runlevels...

It used to be that *buntu cared what was in the rc.d files so that:

update-rc.d -f gdm remove

would stop gdm from loading. And:

update-rc.d gdm stop 20 2 3 4 5 .

would keep an apt-get upgrade from putting it back.

But that really don't work anymore either...

But getting back to that old thread, there was someone who suggested that
I could stop gdm from loading by:

setting /etc/X11/default-display-manager to "fubar" instead of a valid
display manager. This didn't seem as clean as the old update-rc.d method
so I forgot about it...

But it sorta works still... A few (and I do mean a few) lines of the
boot screen output text winds up on <alt>+<F7> instead of the splash and
error pop-up. but the focus doesn't shift to tty1 unless I hit <alt>+<F1>
Then I can login... It's still not right. But it's better than getting
them stupid pop-ups, and startx still works. But I'd sure like a cleaner
method.