[xubuntu-users] $@$@$&%#%& Nvidia card... HDA NVidia (Alsa Mixer) But no sound card detected

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sun Jul 11 05:58:36 UTC 2010

Well I think I mentioned that I'd installed (and configured) both PCLinuxOS
and Arch Linux before I began replicating my amd_64 laptop's Xubuntu Karmic
on this recently acquired amd_64 desktop... As it turns out I wound up
using Nvidia video drivers on all three. In the case of both the other two
Linux the sound works. In both cases if I select a certain mixer from the
XFCE menu I can peek at the "selected video card set-up" In both cases the
selection was "HDA NVidia (Alsa Mixer)" I'm not really sure the name of
that mixer as for some reason the menu just called it "mixer" and icons are
all meaningless pictures to me...

Now in Xubuntu I've installed several mixers, and just about every other
package with alsa in the package name. But absolutely none of them are able
to find a sound card. At least the ones that exit gracefully grumble about
that. Though some just silently fail...I have doubts that a proprietary
Nvidia Video driver would mask the Nvidia sound (chip?) that likely resides
on the video card. And as I said both the other linux distros are using it
without my needing to do anything special.

Would anyone have a clue what I can do to be able to listen to my .wav
files while using  Xubuntu Karmic???