[xubuntu-users] New Karmic install: problem with subsequent "apt-get install postfix"

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu Jul 8 21:19:49 UTC 2010

 Yeah I know Lucid is ready. But I just acquired an amd_64
 desktop, I have karmic on my amd_64 laptop And I wanted to
 duplicate it as much as possible. installing the same packages
 and attempt copying the /home directories intact to see if I can
 preserve all my user configurations without things like e17
 choking on incorrect ~/.e/ files...

Then the plan is to see how much I can keep when I upgrade karmic
to lucid...

But anyway I haven't got that far. This issue is with
apt-get install postfix
OK now for starters I only want post fix for local loopback
That is it will neither receive nor send anything to/from the
internet...

So when I installed postfix I was glad that there was a
configuration pop-up that let me select the local option. The
problem is that it then proceeded to insist that I provide it with
a fully qualified domain name for my machine. Well it doesn't
have one. My mail client accesses my ISP's SMTP server
directly. And my "fetch" script calls fetchmail this way:
*) fetchmail --all  --flush --mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T";;
So postfix will only see locally generated mail that I NEVER want
it to deliver beyond my local machine... None the less the config
tool insists on having a qualified domain, and no matter what I
put there I get an error. And all following apt-get installs tell
me that /etc/postfix/main.cf has a bad parameter value. And that
the sub process dpkg returned error code 1

The only way I can get it to stop haunting apt-get is to
apt-get purge postfix

But then I won't have local mail delivery...

What am I doing wrong???