[xubuntu-users] x7.10 logon

Ярослав Райченко gruz222 at rambler.ru
Fri Jan 29 07:38:43 UTC 2010

* Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> [Sun, 24 Jan 2010
16:10:06 -0700]:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 01:45:12 +0300
> Ярослав Райченко <gruz222 at rambler.ru> wrote:
>
> > hi there,
> > recently "downgraded" from xubuntu 9.10 to the 7.10 (my PC seemd to
> be
> > too old for 9.10) and faced the login problem, i.e. after filling in
> > username- password the screen swiched to the text mode displaying
that
> > certain services are ok, then came back to the login menu not
letting
> me
> > in. I think this is because of the screen resolution - windows took
> > while to draw displaying ommitions. By the way that was the reason
> > leave x9.10. Here are some questions:
> > 1) how to get in the system (may be by means of the console);
> > 2) is there the way to edit some conf file responsible for the
screen
> > resolution;
> > 3) is there any way to setup a com mouse in 7.10?
> > thanks,
> > Alex
> >

> Did you remove the existing /home/DOT files? If the configuration
> carried from 9.10 to 7.10, it will create the same issue.
>
> Also, Please be aware that 7.10 is no longer supported, and will not
> receive any security updates. Support for it ended in April 2009.
> For the list of supported versions, please see
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/ .
>
> You would install a com mouse in all the versions the same way. You
can
> take a look at: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialMouseHowto .
>
> Good luck,

Thank You Charlie for leads.
I don't think the dotfiles were left after shifting 9.10 to 7.10 as long
as I marked the disk space as free befor reinstalling. I found the conf
file to fix the monitor resolution. But still didn't succeed to logon in
X. Plus, the shutdown command never ended displaying XUBUNTU logo which
makes me switch off the power button. It woud be nice to know the key
files responsible for login and shutdown/
thanks again,

Alex

--
Ярослав Райченко.