[xubuntu-users] How to load wifi card module ? and LED fluttering

Lee Gold leegold at operamail.com
Tue Oct 20 08:52:08 UTC 2009

Using Xubuntu 9.10, 2.6.31-14, wicd net manager. There is now support for my rtl8187 wireless USB. It performs great! But one observation is that the LED on the unit is blinking wildly. It  blinks/flutters when there is *no* network activity - so it's as if it should be solid (to show it's on but w/no activity) but instead there's a very rapid fluttering/blinking of the LED. When I used ndiswrappers in 9.10 previously this did not happen, as soon as I used the new linux driver it does it. I'm covering the LED with tape as it is driving me crazy. I understand many people noted blinking indicating activity on some NICs but this is constant fluttering w/no activity as I describe above.

The new driver gives me better signal strength than any other driver - very cool.

Newbie Question:

$ sudo modprobe rtl8187

I have to do this command at every reboot. How do I load the module automatically at every boot?

Lee G.