[xubuntu-users] Help Needed: Xubuntu RC ISO Testing

Ara Pulido ara at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 16 11:38:56 UTC 2009

Hello Xubuntu users!

As you may know, Thursday 22nd October we are releasing Xubuntu 9.10
Release Candidate. This is a very important milestone, as it will be
very similar to final Xubuntu 9.10 (between them, only very critical
fixes will be accepted).

For the 9.10 release we are having very little coverage of Xubuntu
images and we would need a harder effort for the RC milestone.

To help, you will need an account in the ISO tracker [1]. This blog post
is useful as starting guide:

     http://tinyurl.com/yjujh6c

Also, one of the common complains about ISO testing is that, when the
call for testing is done, it takes too long to download the ISOs for
that candidate image.

Preparing today for that moment couldn't be easier:

dl-ubuntu-test-iso is a script, available as part of the
ubuntu-qa-tools, that downloads Ubuntu (+ Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc) ISO
images for testing purposes. The script uses rsync, which means that the
second time you run it, it only downloads the changes to each ISO. So,
if you use it today, and keep running it every day (or every couple of
days), you will be already set up to help when the candidates images for
RC start appearing.

You will need a configuration file to tell the script which images your
interested in. I have prepared a configuration file for Xubuntu, and it
is attached. You will only need to edit it to select which architecture
you're interested in. Save it in you home folder as .dl-ubuntu-test-iso

Once you have save the configuration file:

  * If you're running Karmic, you can install the ubuntu-qa-tools
package directly.

      $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-qa-tools
      $ dl-ubuntu-test-iso

  * If you're not running Karmic, get the ubuntu-qa-tools from its
bazaar repository:

      $ bzr branch lp:ubuntu-qa-tools
      $ ./ubuntu-qa-tools/dl-ubuntu-test-iso/dl-ubuntu-test-iso

That will save your Xubuntu testing images at ~/iso. And they will get
updated every time you run the scripts (only if the images have changed).

Testing will be coordinated from Tuesday in #ubuntu-testing and you can
start subscribing to the ISO tracker page, so you can be informed when
the new images start to appear. Any doubts, please, contact me directly.

Thanks and happy testing!
Ara.

[1] http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com