[xubuntu-users] Cleaning Up Residual Upgrade Issues

David Collins david.8.collins at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 03:03:16 UTC 2009

Hello, Rich.

This is might not be the answer you after, but have you thought about biting
the bullet and doing a fresh install?  I find that it is so quick with
ubuntu do to an install, that this is often quicker than trouble-shooting
problems with an upgrade.  The Jaunty upgrade on my eeePC went wrong, so I
did a fresh install, choosing EXT4 for the filesystem, and it is beautiful -
30 seconds to bring up the login screen.  The nicest ubuntu version yet.

Steps:
1. Download and create Jaunty Live CD
2. Booting from the Live CD, shrink your existing system partition using
GParted, create a new partition and do fresh install into that.
3. Copy data files from old home directory to new home directory.  (Don't
copy old config files - better to start fresh, but might need to copy
Firefox bookmarks - also look at the Xmarks FF add-on, so you don't have to
do this in future)
4. Install enough apps to keep wife happy.  Finish later.

Regards,
David