[xubuntu-users] wireless interface will not start

Lee Gold leegold at operamail.com
Tue Oct 6 00:40:18 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have an intel wireless built into my laptop: Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN, called wlan0 by Xubuntu.

When I use a different wlan interface, shutdown, then bootup wanting to use the built in one, Xubuntu does not "remember". The built in wlan0 will not activate, it shows up on ifconfig but not command i know of ups it and pressing the wireless button on the laptop will not turn it on. The only way to get it back is to restart and boot WinXP. Somehow booting XP activates the  wlan0, I don't even have to login, then from the XP login page I restart and Xubuntu will have wlan activated.

This is a pain. Is there command or tweak to fix (9.04) w/WICD manager? I tried  > ifconfig wlan up, things like that...

Any help appreciated.