[xubuntu-users] Update-Manager package error message (WAS: Network Issue)

Mischa Falkenburg because_productions at myfairpoint.net
Mon Nov 30 16:23:43 UTC 2009

Ron Rhodes wrote:
> Mischa Falkenburg wrote:
>
>> J. Anthony Limon wrote:

>>> Yes, this is correct. sources.list is part of the system files and only
>>> sudo can access it for security purposes.
>>>

>> OK, Steve & J. Anthony...HOW do I go about doing this?
>> I've tried opening a terminal and I'm shown, rightly so, that
>> /etc/apt/sources.list isn't a command. Do I need to copy and paste it
>> into a terminal window, or is there (yet another) some other way that I
>> will learn?
>> Mischa
>>

> Open terminal and type "sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list"
> Enter password and file will open in the nano text editor where you can
> edit and save it.
> HTH Ron

HI Ron, thanks for joining the fray ;-)

OK, I've edited the lines to match the other lines (removed the .\'s,
and put each (deb & deb-src)on it's own line.
I assumed that this would call for a restart, which I did, but the red
circle w/ the white minus still shows on the top bar. Should I have done
something else instead of restart...or is the editing incorrect and I
should have left the .\'s in place?

Mischa