[xubuntu-users] xubuntu on thumbdrive: instructions don't work

Sat May 2 11:09:28 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 7:57 AM, David Duckslammer <
davidduckslammer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Grumble growl snarl.  I went out, found myself a wired connection,
> downloaded and installed the missing usb-creator, created a bootable
> flash drive.  It boots, it runs.  It doesn't seem to recognize the
> wifi adapter, but I am at a place where there is only one access point
> and it is private.
>
> However the persistence feature doesn't work.  I modified
> syslinux/text.cfg per the instructions on Vincent's page and that
> still didn't work.  However linux was reporting i/o errors on
> shutdown.  So I bought a new thumbdrive, reinstalled, modified
> text.cfg - no more i/o errors on shutdown but still no persistence.
> Got to have persistence.  There are drivers and apps I can't use this
> system without and no way to save them otherwise.
>
> What do I try next?

Hmm OK, that's just weird :S

Might be a stupid question, but: did you select "Stored in reserved extra
space" and move the slider to the right?

Also, perhaps you could give it a try at another PC? If the problem isn't in
the USB flash drive, it might be in the computer, as that's the only thing
that might differentiate the steps you followed from what other people did
(where it did work for them).

--
Vincent