[xubuntu-users] timeoutd

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Thu Mar 26 17:25:49 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:18:27 -0700
Gary Crosby <grcrosby at gmail.com> wrote:

> I installed timeoutd and adjusted the timeouts file in /etc to give
> everyone 15 minutes before logging them off. Nothing happens though. I
> checked ps ax and the timeoutd is listed, so i am wondering what did I
> do wrong, or what do I have to do?
>
> timeouts:
> # /etc/timeouts: user login/idle/session time limits.  See
> timeouts(5). #
> # Format:  TIMES:TTYS:USERS:GROUPS:MAXIDLE:MAXSESS:MAXDAY:WARN
>
> # everyone is allowed unlimited logon, but 15 minutes idle time
> #A1:*:*:*:15

Perhaps uncomment the line? Try this, maybe,

Al:*:*:*:15:0:0:0

(that is a small L after the A) for any TTY, everyone, any group, 15
minutes idle, unlimited session time, unlimited time per day, no
warnings given.

> 4599 ?     Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/timeoutd

I installed this to see, and it worked for me in Jaunty. However, if a
screensaver starts, this will fail. Good luck

--
Charlie Kravetz