[xubuntu-users] Keyboard Switch EN,RU

Curtis Vaughan cavaughan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 18:25:39 UTC 2009

I am going nuts trying to switch between English and Russian in Xubuntu
8.10. I added Russian through language support. Then in Settings >
Keyboard I added Russian. Nonetheless, I cannot switch to Russian.

The Keyboard Switcher addition to the panel will only show en_US and
UNKNOWN.

I have tried various suggestions found on the Internet, but none of them
have worked as well. One such suggested claimed from a command line you
could just enter:
setxkbmap ru
and switch say to Russian in this case. Regardless of watch language I try
to switch to using that command I only get:
Error loading new keyboard description.

Any help would be most appreciated!