[xubuntu-users] (no subject)

Wed Mar 18 17:58:11 GMT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Chris Ross <kristoff101 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the following hardware
> Sony Picturebook PCG-C1XD
> Pentium II 400 MHz
> 128 MB Ram
> 10Gb HDD
> USB floppy
> Display adapter Neomagic Magicmedia 256AV
> Due to the amount of available Ram I wonder whether or not I should go with
> release 8.1 given the recommended config below, or go for an earlier
> version.
> I will be using the laptop to browse and possible use with skype.
> I understand that installing should be done using the alternative installer
> given the limited amount of memory.
> 8.10, (Intrepid Ibex) - "Xubuntu can run with starting from 192 (or even
> just 128) MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB
> RAM"
> --
> Thanks
> Chris
128MB RAM is going to be very, very unpleasant. Especially Skype will be a
problem (it uses Qt libraries as opposed to GTK like most of Xubuntu, which
means that will all have to be loaded in memory additionally which won't
help speed-wise). Perhaps if you just browse with a light-weight browser it
might be bearable, but really not recommended.

You might want to check out a lighter distro, perhaps to get at least a bit
of a user-friendly experience you might go with a light-weight Xfce-distro
such as Wolvix (http://wolvix.org/), if not, something like Puppy Linux is
probably the way to go.

Or course, considering how it's all free-of-charge, you might as well just
give it a try and see if you can bear it ;-)
An older version of Xubuntu is probably either nothing better or too old to
be supported and thus _strongly_ recommended against.

Good luck,