[xubuntu-users] Lightweight desktop

Jarno Suni j_suni at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 18 12:13:20 GMT 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:59:59 +0000
Chris Ross <kristoff101 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Due to the amount of available Ram I wonder whether or not I should go with
> release 8.1 given the recommended config below, or go for an earlier
> version.

It is 8.10 release. The name comes from the year and month of
publishing date. I think Xubuntu would be too slow by your hardware.

> I will be using the laptop to browse and possible use with skype.

> I understand that installing should be done using the alternative installer
> given the limited amount of memory.

Yes. You can even use it to install bare command line system. (The
option is in one of the menus launched by F-keys in the first screen.)

For somewhat lighter desktop, you could try LXDE;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXDE. To install it in ubuntu 8.10 run
"sudo apt-get install lxde lxterminal" in command line.
As for web browser you could try Midori
http://www.twotoasts.de/index.php?/pages/midori_summary.html

It is lightweight, but not very stable yet. The deb package is available
at http://www.getdeb.net/app/Midori. Install it by
wget -P /tmp http://www.getdeb.net/download/3998/0
sudo dpkg -i /tmp/midori_0.1.4-1~getdeb1_i386.deb

Or you could use Firefox, which may paralyze even much faster PC
occasionally.

You can get Skype from the Medibuntu repository.

For even snappier but more ascetic desktop you could try IceWM window
manager:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IceWM
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimalold (for a faster way to
install command line system + IcWM etc.)

--
Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.