[xubuntu-users] (was no subject) Which release should be used

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Wed Mar 18 11:49:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:59:59 +0000
Chris Ross <kristoff101 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the following hardware
> Sony Picturebook PCG-C1XD
> Pentium II 400 MHz
> 128 MB Ram
> 10Gb HDD
> USB floppy
> PCMCIA CD Drive
> Display adapter Neomagic Magicmedia 256AV
>
> Due to the amount of available Ram I wonder whether or not I should
> go with release 8.1 given the recommended config below, or go for an
> earlier version.
>
> I will be using the laptop to browse and possible use with skype.
>
> I understand that installing should be done using the alternative
> installer given the limited amount of memory.
>
> 8.10, (Intrepid Ibex) - "Xubuntu can run with starting from 192 (or
> even just 128) MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at
> least 256 MB RAM"

With 128MB ram, the system is going to be limited to one application
running at a time. The version does not matter so much, the speed
applications run at is very slow. You will find that the system must
swap applications to disk to run more than one at a time.

It is possible to run Xubuntu on 128MB, but please be aware of the
limited use with it. Recommended is 256MB, which does not need to
constantly swap to disk. Also, you may find some applications simply
can not run with 128MB. I would suggest using a lighter weight browser
than firefox. There are many to choose from, including Dillo, Midori,
and Epiphany that work better than firefox for low memory systems.

You might want to take a look at these :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems

Good luck,

--