[xubuntu-users] Hard disk damaged! Partition improperly dismounted with Xubuntu

shen Woteffer tekkshen at yahoo.es
Wed Mar 11 22:22:35 GMT 2009

hoi,have you tried pmagic to get some info about your lost harddisk?cheers

Asunto: Re: [xubuntu-users] Hard disk damaged! Partition improperly dismounted with Xubuntu
Para: "Xubuntu Help and User Discussions" <xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Fecha: miércoles, 11 marzo, 2009 9:41

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi at gmx.de> wrote:

Vincent wrote:

> But anyway, the reason this happened (not the hard drive crash but not

> being able to boot WinXP nor Xubuntu) is because both were installed

> onto an NTFS drive (which is Microsoft's filesystem format) which isn't

> very good at handling this.

Actually NTFS has a long and successfull history and it is a very robust

filesystem.

When the OP had not used partition magic, it might have been possible to

save some data because of NTFS' robustness. However a fully crashed NTFS

is no better than any fully crashed linux fs can be.
OK, then I'm glad I added the disclaimer, thanks ;-)

(snip)

regards

Eberhard

--