[xubuntu-users] Hard disk damaged! Partition improperly dismounted with Xubuntu

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Wed Mar 11 19:45:00 GMT 2009

Vincent wrote:
> But anyway, the reason this happened (not the hard drive crash but not
> being able to boot WinXP nor Xubuntu) is because both were installed
> onto an NTFS drive (which is Microsoft's filesystem format) which isn't
> very good at handling this.

Actually NTFS has a long and successfull history and it is a very robust
filesystem.
When the OP had not used partition magic, it might have been possible to
save some data because of NTFS' robustness. However a fully crashed NTFS
is no better than any fully crashed linux fs can be.

The Wubi website warns for this - exactly
> because when something like this causes Windows to crash it will take
> Xubuntu down with it when installed using Wubi.
>
> Thus, installing Xubuntu directly has preference because it can use
> Linux filesystem formats which are generall more tolerant to this.

Not more tolerant but way better suited to Linux, I would say.

And I fully agree, either you want linux or windows. WUBI with Linux on
Windows imho is more or less a marketing vehicle. And as such, it might
work.

regards
Eberhard