[xubuntu-users] Hard disk damaged! Partition improperly dismounted with Xubuntu

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Wed Mar 11 22:26:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:15:45 +0100
Vincent <mailinglists at vinnl.nl> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:20 AM, David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com> wrote:
>
> > wikiOn Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:13:12 -0700 (PDT)
> > Bruno Diaz <b_d_r_i at yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > > And for the future... Is there any way to close a window in Xubuntu
> > when the desktop is not working? Like a reset Ctrl-Alt-Del in Windows.
> >
> > In user space, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will immediately restart xorg, but only
> > in Hardy and Interpid, this will be deprecated in Jaunty.
> >

> Will it? Aw... :( Why?

The decision was approved in blueprints last year [2]. I don't agree with the reasons, but it's definitely not a kernel space key sequence so it can be mapped to do about anything and becomes a security risk. At least that was what I gleaned from this long long argument in devel-discuss [3].

Best way to restart xorg if you've accidentally lost your panels/menus etc. is to open a terminal or ctrl-alt-F1 and type 'sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart'. Pretty much the same end result as Alt-Sysreq-k, but at least gdm/xorg stop and start according to their init scripts, which to me seems safer than explicit kill.

> As for the actual question: Ctrl+Alt+Esc, if that doesn't work
> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (as long as it isn't removed) and if that doesn't work
> the Magic SysRq key are great :)

Strange, I can't get Ctrl-Alt-Esc to do anything. Alt-Esc flips through windows, Ctrl-Esc brings up the applications menu, and Alt-F4 closes a window. But Ctrl-Alt-Esc does nothing for me.

[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/xorg-ctrl-alt-backspace

[3] http://search.gmane.org/?query=ctrl-alt&author=&group=gmane.linux.ubuntu.devel.discuss&sort=relevance&DEFAULTOP=and&xP=ctrl%09alt%09bksp&xFILTERS=Glinux.ubuntu.devel.discuss---A

--
David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com>