[xubuntu-users] How-to install without CD?

Marko Oreskovic markoresko at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 14:13:45 UTC 2009

deemarie at fastmail.fm wrote:
> Dear Xubuntu
>
> I would like instructions on how to install Xubuntu 8.10 from an iso
> image that is on my hard drive.
> Also, if it matters,  which  ISO image would I need to download....
> Desktop CD or Alternate install CD... in order to accomplish this?
>
> I was able to do this for Puppy Linux. Unzipped iso to C:\, added grldr
> and menu.lst to C:\boot.images folder,  modified boot.ini  adding
> C:\GRLDR="Puppy Menu".
> That made a "frugal install".  From there you can do normal/full install
> to another hard drive/partition.
>
> That's what I'm looking to do with your Xubuntu.  Puppy Linux was awful.
>
> I'm running Windows 2000pro btw.  866PIII, 512ram.
> I'd like to put Xubuntu on hda3 (I:)
>
> Thank you
> Deemarie

You can install Xubuntu (or any other Ubuntu or some other Linux
distributions) by using USB flash drive (1GB or bigger)
with: unetbootin
http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/
It can be used to make bootable USB drive out of .ISO image
and it works under Linux or windows for USB preparation.
It is fine GUI program, Just wait for data to be written on flash drive.

There is also universal unetbootin and customized for certain distributions.
It can also both do downloading of distribution files for making
bootable usb disk or use already downloaded .iso