[xubuntu-users] Installation problem with xubuntu

David J. Ellis dr.ellis at physics.org
Fri Jul 10 13:26:27 UTC 2009

Thanks for the 'long wait' hint, Charlie. I was already using that alternate
image and was expecting substantial time delays during install and run, but
not quite the 6 hours level. I did leave it overnight when I used "guided
partioning" that first time, so I know that one never came back. However, I
had only waited an hour or so with pre-partitioned case. I will retry the
pre-partitioned one and let it wait for the rest of today - circa 8 hours.

------

How well behaved is the multi-boot installation of the normal Ubuntu image
(see below)?

I do have a real machine that I'm ultimately interested in using but it
presently has both MS Win2K and the Recovery Console installed on it. I dare
not risk loosing that. That system has 36 Gbyte unallocated on the boot IDE
drive which also contains the MS C: primary partition. The Win2K install
resides on D: on a different platter. The Recovery Console install AND all
the boot files are in that small FAT32 primary partition on the IDE (C:). I
could easily turn the 36 Gbyte unallocated into an extended partition and
create two logical partitions in it - Ext2 and swap. My real concern is
whether the multi-boot install is clever enough to understand and preserve
the current multi-boot options that were set up using Microsoft's loader.

I have previously run Ubuntu on that system, booting it from a CD based
trial version. I know it worked pretty well EXCEPT that it failed to detect
the display resolution (should be 1680 x 1050) and defaulted to something
like 800 x 600. If I can safely install on the HDD then I can try and find
out how to manually set the display resolution to what it should be. That
would allow me to properly check it out while preserving the current working
environment.

David E.

   <snip>