[xubuntu-users] Wireless scanning depends on the linux kernel

Nicolas Ferré nicolas.ferre at univ-provence.fr
Sat Jul 4 12:03:35 UTC 2009

Hi,

After having upgraded to xubuntu9.04, wicd 1.5.9 shows only few wireless
networks if the default kernel (2.6.28) is used. Unfortunately, my own
wireless connection (I mean the one I get from my provider) does not
show up at all, even after several "refresh" or "hidden networks"
trials. However, if I boot with the older kernel that came with
ubuntu8.10 (2.6.27), wicd has a much longer wireless network list,
included my own one.

I submitted a bug report to the wicd developers (see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/wicd/+bug/394825) but according to them, this
is merely a driver problem. Actually, "iwlist eth1 scanning" shows a few
wireless networks if I use the wicd "refresh" button, but nothing after
10 or 20 seconds. The even more curious thing is that the wireless
network I'd like to use, i.e. the one from my provider does not show at all!

Do you have an idea?

NF